Don't let all those fruits and vegetables go to waist. You can can them easier than you think.
Simply follow the step by step instructions and you will be eating your own canned
fruits and vegetables all winter long.
1. The first thing you need is the fruits or vegetables. Be sure to throw out or
cut off all the rotten pieces.
Next you want to wash them really good to remove dirt and chemicals.
2. The temp you use for canning depends on the type of food you want to can.
If it's vegetables the
temp. must be 240 F till all the harmful bacteria is destroyed. This can be done
with a steam pressure canner.
3. If you are canning fruit (tomatoes included) they have a high level of acid and
require heat processing of 212 F. This is reached by using a boiling-water canner.
4. It is important that you use the most up to date guide lines for canning your fruits
and vegetables. Be sure that the cook book is newer and double check the canning
process with an additional up to date source before you begin. If you go to the Ball or
Kerr web site you will get the most up to date canning instructions.
5. When you are ready to fill your jars with the hot content be sure you leave extra space at the top
of the jar. Use a wooden spoon to help get all the air out of the hot food.
Push the spoon down the inside of the jar all the way around and carefully push
the food down. This should get most of the air out.
6. Next, clean the rim of the jar with a clean damp cloth. Place the warm heated lid on top of the jar.
Now you can screw the band down nice and tight. It does not have to be really tight. You should be
able to get it off using only your finger tips.
7. Now you can carefully remove the jars from the canner and place them on a counter to
cool. You might want to put a towel down first. Do not tighten the loads more at this point.
Just let the jars cool.
8. Wait 24 hours or more before checking the lids to make sure they sealed. You can check by
pushing down on the center cap. If it does not move it is sealed. If it does move this meant the
jar did not seal and you will need to refrigerate it and eat it first.
9. The last step is to labile date and store for later.
10. You are done and ready to enjoy your fruits and vegetables all winter long.