Grow Tomatoes Organically
1. You will need a place with at least 5 hours of sun.
2. Work up the soil and add compost or rotten manure.
3. Tomatoes love to eat! Add about ½ dozen egg shells to the soil as well (this adds calcium to help prevent rot)
4. You can buy or grow you tomato plants. When picking your plants don’t buy a big plant that is growing in a small container. Also avoid tall tomato plants. These plants tend to be root bound.
5. Tomatoes don’t like frost! Wait till the frost season is over.
6. To plant tomatoes dig a deep hole or long trench. Loosen roots as you remove the seedling from the pot.
7. Plant the tomato plant deep. You want about 3-4 inches of the plant above ground.
8. You will want to put up a trellis to support the tomato plants. As the plant grows you can tie it to the trellis with a soft cloth.
9. If you don’t want to bother with a trellis you can let them spread out on the ground. Just be sure to give them lots of room so they don’t rot.
10. Tomatoes need water! They need about an inch or water a week. Don’t give them too much water because this can cause rot. If you are looking for a great way to water your tomatoes check out Mister Landscapers DIY low-flow Drip irrigation kits. They work great when you want to save water and give your plants the perfect amount. Check them out at www.misterlandscaper.com
11. Don’t let the weeds tale over
12. Enjoy your home grown tomatoes!